The complete teacher training programme consists of four levels: the Basic Teaching Certificate and the White, Yellow and Orange Teaching Diplomas.
In addition there are further training courses for Health Play, the Children's Grades and MMM Movement Therapy, as well as assessments for MMM qualified teachers to teach the Dance Technique grades.
The first requirement to take a teacher training course is to be a member of MMM, and to have passed the Basic and White Colour examinations for performance. Teacher Training courses are held at the MMM International Summer School each year and from time to time at other courses. In some countries it is possible to train at locally held courses.
All four levels of teacher training include the elements :
- Performance of the Colour's set exercises, demonstrating a thorough knowledge of the work
- Teaching Practice, assessed by individual assessments teaching exercises to a group of students; and secondly teaching exercises in an examination setting
- Applied Anatomy and Physiology, at each level, with an oral or a written examination
- Principles of MMM, covering pedagogic and theoretical subjects, including Class Planning
- Theory and Practice of Teaching, in which the MMM method of teaching exercises is studied
- A written paper on a dance history or MMM related topic
- Compilation of a personal Portfolio, containing information on the candidate's life and work in dance and teaching as well as demonstrating his/her artistic and creative abilities
More detailed information is available from the MMM office or from a class teacher. An application form to be sent to the MMM office prior to starting teacher training can be found here.
For MMM Members, specific details of the requirements and content of each Teacher Training course can be found here.
A training course and assessment in Health Play entitles the MMM member to teach this level of work to very young children. The requirements are similar to those for the Basic Teaching Certificate. The syllabus includes development of story themes for classes, Child Development and Teaching Theory, Applied Anatomy and Physiology, as well as the Health Play exercises and sequences. Teachers of Health Play are not qualified to teach MMM to any other age group.
MMM Children's Grades
Teachers who hold the Basic Teaching Certificate may be assessed to teach the MMM Children's Grades, usually in two parts: Grades 1 - 3, and Grades 4, 5 and Elementary. Child Development and Theory is also an integral part of the course.
MMM Dance Technique
MMM qualified teachers are assessed to teach each Grade, an assessment consisting of teaching exercises in a class setting. The candidate should demonstrate during the course a thorough knowledge of the Dance Technique syllabus.
MM Movement Therapy
A separate Diploma course is required to qualify to teach this aspect of MMM. Candidates should have passed at least Orange Colour and the Yellow Teaching Diploma, though exceptions may be made for an applicant holding the White Teaching Diploma. The course involves a syllabus of special Movement Therapy exercises as well as adaptations of standard MMM exercises, Applied Anatomy, study of medical conditions and the indications and contra-indications of movement. As well as a practical teaching assessment, three written papers are taken.
More detailed information is available from the MMM office or from a class teacher.
An application form to be sent to the MMM office prior to starting teacher training can be found here.
For MMM Members, specific details of the requirements and content of each Teacher Training course can be obtained from the Administrator.